Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater
If you are living at a big or medium house with 3 bathroom and need use both washing machine and dish washer than you can choose Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater. With a capacity of supplying 6.6 Gallon per minute this tankless water heater can support multiple home appliances at a time. I am a fan of Japan made products they do have better long run performance. This particular product from Takagi a very creative manufacturer from Japan has a promise to deliver flawless performance for at least 10 years. So my concern of durability is checked.
Perfect for high altitude places
If you live at a place far above ground level than you would be glad to know that Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater can support your home up to 7500 feet altitude. There are very good indoor tank less gas fired tank less heater which do not function over 2000 altitude. So beware of this provision.
It comes with both a remote control and power cord so you can use it to control the heat while distant from the heater, saves much of your time and energy.
Unlike tank water heaters Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater runs the burner to heat the water only when it feels a flow. So when you are in a vacation or you are not using the heater you won’t be charged anything like tank water heater. Also your natural gas bill will drop at least 1/3rd if you use it at 131 degree (it is solely your choice, I am just telling the ideal temperature that will supply hot water and make the bill low, together)
If you have installed a tank water heater previously you know how much space they eat away. How about replacing those 12 cubic feet of that heater with a dimension of 6.7 x 13.8 x 20.3 Takagi tankless water heater? This is as big as an over-sized i pad. So if you want to hide it away you can easily do that behind the bathroom cabinet.
Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG can provide maximum flow rate of 6.6 GPM at 35°F temperature rise and 3.3 GPM at 70°F rise, Indicating an ideal choice of tankless water heater for any climate. With this capacity you will never run out of water between 3 simultaneous applications. Chance of low flow in none, risk of scalding also eliminates.
Good safety features
Japanese surely do detail work therefore the venting system in Takagi is made of category III stainless steel, unlike some who provide plastic vents or soft copper vents. Other safety features includes Safety features includes freeze, overheat, surge protection, and troubleshooting diagnostic codes.
- It is viable for residential usages with gas inputs of 140,000 BTU
- It complies with ultra-Low NOX regulations which is less than 14 ng/J (<20ppm)
- It is light weighted 37.6 pounds
- 15 years limited heat exchanger warranty and 5 years limited warranty on part, in case of residential use.
Not instant hot water
Takes 5-10 second to supply hot water, so chances exists you will be frozen before any hot water comes in, if the inlet water temp is very low.
This is a common problem with any tankless water. It is not because the heater takes time to start and get into action. This problem is due to the unused water that is stored in the line. At morning this sand witch problem may continue for 10 seconds. One solution is before turning the shower, wait for 10 seconds than turn back on the water valve down to warm water mixture.
Warranty is void if you install it yourself. So to pay for a plumber who is certified by Takagi group is not only hard but also expensive.
The manuals are quite detailed and easy to understand. So if you are comfortable to risk voiding the warranty, you should read the complete set of manuals before starting the installation process. It may need some visits to home depot and a very serious consideration on usage of gas based valves. Gas lines need to switch off.
Improperly installed natural gas appliances can cause fatal accidents .If you are scared to do it yourself you should not do it. Any stored gas from gas valve should be removed before starting the installation process to avoid unexpected accident.
FAQ for Takagi Indoor Tankless Water Heater
- Q- Is it adequate for a family of 5?
- Ans- It is capable to do multi function between 2-3 applications, so yes it is capable.
- Q- I heard high altitudes create problems for water heaters, how can this one work on so high?
- Ans- It comes with a manual showing the dip switch settings for different altitudes. With a powerful machine the creative Japanese technology has resolved the altitude problem. But you need to change the deep switch settings when using for high altitude.
- Q- How much PSI is required from in let?
- Ans- about 70 lbs psi is needed.
- Q- How much viable is out door installation?
- Ans- The Takagi group has an outdoor model Takagi T-KJr2-OS-NG.This one is designed and suitable for outdoor. So better not do experiment with this by installing it in outdoor.
- Q- Does it need to vent through the wall or the chimney?
- Ans- It is a direct vent heater so vents through wall.
- Q- Why does it need a broad gas vent pipe?
- Ans- Depending on the btu gas that may pass through a line the size of the line is determined. A manual from takagi site provides the different combination of size of pipe and gas flow capacity.
For a very cold place like North American states Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater can provide considerable support. Some good features like 6.6 GPM, remote control, energy efficiency can make your choice easier on buying this indoor tankless gas operated water heater. Some difficult challenges like expensive installation, risk of hazard from gas leakage can also trim down your interest. But these risks are unavoidable no matter which water heater you choose. So if you are looking for a high capacity long term tankless water heater than this is one of the best tankless water heaters in the market.