Whole house water filters are the perfect solution to having just one single filter in your house that purifies all the water entering your house before it leaves through all the taps and faucets. However, there is more to water purifiers than just cleaning water, and one good example is maintaining the taste and smell of water rather than just purifying it. Apart from that, you also need to maintain the right minerals in the water and its hardness. To keep in mind all these, and bring the best water filters, we bring you some of the best whole house water filters in the market.
Whole House Water Filter Reviews – The Top 10
Last update on 2020-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Whole House Water Filter Reviews
Without further ado, here are the top 16 whole house water filter reviews of the year. The list includes leading brands like iSpring, Home Master and even Apex.
1. iSpring FCRC25B Lead & Iron Reducing Replacement Water Filter
ISpring is a family owned leading water filter company that has become a heavyweight in the whole house waters filters for more than a decade. The iSpring FCRC25B is an excellent whole house water filter that gives a great value for your money. However, with all the excellent features that the water filtration system packs, it still comes at a decent and affordable price.
- It effectively reduces lead level in water below 15ppb (this is the EPA standard for drinking water).
- It has an ultra high capacity up to 150,000 gallons of water.
- It has a filter life of 15,000 ppm for lead and 30,000 ppm for iron.
- It has a flow rate of 3 to 4.5 GPM.
- It has a psi drop of 5 at a flow rate of 4 GPM.
- The feed water temperature is around 40 – 120F.
- The feed water pressure is around 20 – 100 psi.
What We Like –
The product can be considered quite cheap and affordable given the water capacity, and filter life is that of a higher standard product. This is an R/O drinking water cartridge that is made from FDA certified materials. The FCRC25B is capable of removing lead and other heavy materials from water and can carry a capacity of 2500 ppm gallons, even in hard water.
The water filter can also remove iron with the help of an R/O prefilter that is capable for the material more than 5000 ppm gallons! Even more, the water filter is also capable of removing iron fouling and metallic tastes in drinking water by removing various materials like iron, copper, cesium and galvanized pipes.
What We Do Not Like –
There have been complaints about iron build ups in toilets about a month of use or two, but this is not the case always so. Even though the water capacity of the filter is quite high, it is evident that the product is not for very big houses. Also, you have to note that the reducing filter for iron is much lower than the capacity for lead and therefore, there is a chance that the filter may lose effectiveness before the life expectancy.
Given the price, the FCRC25B packs excellent features, and it will last longer than most whole house water filters in the market. This is most definitely a must have product if you live in a small to medium sized house.
2. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is an elite whole house water purification system that comes from a company that makes the top ten lists of whole house water filters every year. Home Master water filtration systems deliver clean and clear water with pressure performance that you rarely get from other home water filtration systems.
- It has a 3-stage water filtration system.
- It has a flow rate of 15 gallons per minute!
- It houses multi gradient density replaceable sediment that makes for a finer filtration system and it also has a great dirt holding capacity.
- Filtration is down to 1 micron!
- It has a 100,000 gallon capacity coconut shell carbon filter that can provide your family a full year of crystal clear and tasteful water.
- It has an excellent purification system that can remove up to 95% of substances like iron, manganese, sediments, chemicals, and many other harmful substances. This also makes your water smell clean and removes foul tastes.
- The big size of the filters increase flow rate and decrease the maintenance frequency.
What We Like –
The most helpful feature of the water filter is that it has a 3-stage filtration system that can remove up to 95% of harmful substances from water. Besides that, the filter is also very powerful and can remove dirt and chemicals with ease and without losing any water pressure.
The oversized filters are a godsend since it increases flow rate tenfold than any other in-home water filters. This also helps the water filter to be less frequently checked for maintenance. Due to its capacity and excellent filtration system, the home water filter is usable in large housings.
What We Do Not Like –
It does not come as a surprise that this cost a lot since it has a lot of power and functions that you would not find in conventional home water filter systems. However, since this is made for bigger houses, the price is actually justified in a sense.
There also have been complaints that the filter is quite hard and expensive to set up. Due to missteps, there have been several cases where users get tainted water. Also, some people say that iron is not filtered correctly, resulting in yellow colored water.
If you are looking for the best water filter out there in the market, and you have quite a large house, then there is no doubt that this is the filter for you. The water filter capacity, 3-stage purification system, and the filter size make up for one heck of a water filter!
3. Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
Given the brand of the HMF2SDGC, it should not come as a surprise that you have two consecutive Home Master water filters on the list. This filter, in particular, is almost similar to the HMF3SDGFEC, and the main difference is that this one houses a 2-stage filtration process instead of three.
- Despite being a 2-stage water filter system, this product offers five layers of filtration.
- The taste and odor of chlorine and other chemicals are filtered out with the help of coconut shell carbon filter.
- The carbon capacity of the water filter is 95,000. The lifespan of the 2nd filter is based on the contamination of the water supply.
- Like the 3-stage sibling, this too can remove up to 95% of the contaminants in your water supply.
- You get a 2-year warranty with the house water filter.
- There is a 1-inch inlet/outlet set of ports with the filter.
What We Like –
Even though Home Master says that the maximum water pressure is at 15 gallons per minute, you can get 20 gallons at max. However, using the filter at this pressure level cannot be advised. The oversized filters are also helpful since it improves the flow rate and decreases the number of times you need to get this to the doctor!
The HMF2SDGCC can also be used with additional purification products that are made for home. All you have to do is connect the filter behind your water softener or a UV sanitizer to get the full system running smoothly.
What We Do Not Like –
Even though the filter is quite expensive, this is considered an entry-level limited filtration system. This works well with municipal water supplies but will suffer a little while working with wells.
Moreover, the filter is made to work as a sediment and chlorine remover, and thus, you cannot remove manganese, iron, and sulfur with this variant.
All in all, if you are looking for a reliable water filter for a moderately sized house in the suburbs or a municipal, then this is the perfect filter for you. Even though there are tolerance issues with this variant, there are solutions to them.
4. Aquasana Premium Rhino
As far as premium whole house water filters go, this is as good as they get. The Aquasana Premium Rhino is as rich in features as it is long lasting. The rating capacity of the filter alone makes it a very famous water filter. This just might be the best water filtration system for home.
- It has 4 filtration stages.
- It has a pre-filter lifespan of 3 months and post filter lifespan of 12 months. The unit itself has a lifespan of 10 years or 1,000,000 gallons!
- The water flow rate is 7 GPM.
- It removes 97% of chlorine from your water supply!
- It has a warranty of 2 years and guaranteed money back for 90 days.
What We Like
There is no doubt that the highlight of the Premium Rhino is how dependable this thing is. The rating capacity, flow rate, and warranty alone make sure that maintenance frequency is kept to a minimum. The four filtration stages ensure that all dirt, bacteria, chlorine and other metals are filtered to give you clean and pristine water.
Even though this is a big water filter, it is in fact quite easy to install. If you do not want to call in a plumber to help you set it up, then you get the entire installation manual on Aquasana’s website.
What We Do Not Like –
Even though the filtration process is quite good and it ensures that you have clean water all year round, it is, however, not as good as reverse osmosis. So, even though the Aquasana water filter is very dependable, if you want something above that then you might have to look elsewhere.
Moreover, the installation must be done with the help of a professional if you want to ensure that the warranty stays intact. This makes no sense since the process itself is not that hard and is written on their website.
Last of all, since this is a premium water filter, it is quite expensive.
The name says it all, the Rhino is one of the most effective water filters in the market, and the 0.35-micron filter that it houses is the most refined one in the market. So, even though the filter is expensive, the NSF certification and outstanding filtration system more than make up for the price of the whole house water filter.
5. Express Water Whole House Water Filter, 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System
The Express Water Whole House Water Filter has everything you need in a filter for homes. It eliminates contaminants and chemical through multiple stages of filtration, and that keeps your water perfectly clean. Without further delay, here is the review of the Express Water Whole House Water Filter.
- The system comes with its own water pressure gauge. The maximum working pressure is 150 psi.
- It uses the reverse osmosis system that is the best amongst all water filters.
- The first stage is the sediment stage, next is the Granular Activated Carbon (G.A.C) filter, and lastly comes the Carbon Block CTO cartridges.
- The carbon filters are made from coconut shell carbon that offers much more refined filtration than normal run of the mill filters out there.
What We Like
This is one of those water purification systems that work perfectly with most water supplies. The filter will leave with you no bad tastes and odor in the water. With the water softeners and the filter itself, you get a huge improvement in water than with any other filters out there.
One important thing to notice is that unlike most other whole house water filter systems, you get no water pressure drops after installation. The installation process itself is very easy, and you do not need plumbers to help you.
Lastly, with the water pressure gauge, you get the ability to monitor the pressure all the time. This might not seem much, but it indeed is a blessing in case a disaster is waiting to happen.
What We Do Not Like
Even with the help of plumbers, you might notice that the ¾ inch inlet and outlet come loose quite often and you need the help of Teflon tapes to stop leaks. Note that while this indeed happens, it is not quite common. But, it is good practice to be prepared just in case.
Every user that ever purchased the Express Water Filter has been happy with the problem of excess minerals in water and chlorine odor and tastes. At the price this filter is set at, this is a must buy for all.
6. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
This is another one of those water filters that are very dependable. The 3M Aqua-Pure’s stainless steel head comes with an insane 25 years warranty, and it is made from corrosion resistant materials! This definitely belongs amongst the top water filters of the year, and the review will tell you exactly why.
- The filter has a stainless steel head that is non-corrosive.
- You get a carbon media-filter that will help you eliminate chlorine from the water supply while also removing any odor in it.
- The filter has very thing necessary to meet the FDA CRF-21 certification. This means you get clean water all year round.
- You get a very high rate of water flow at 20 GPM.
- Cartridges are easy to remove and install with the simple twist off function. This feature ensures easy installation without the help of tools.
What We Like
The filter warranty of the 3M is a big relief even with how much Aqua-Pure boasts about its longevity. This makes it certain that even if you somehow break the filter, the warranty will take care of everything.
Since this is relatively small in size, the filter is very easy to install, and you do not need help from plumbers or experts to do so.
The 5-micron rating is what makes this filter such a sweet deal to buy. Even at such a low price point, the 3M eliminates even the smallest particles there is, and you get clean water that has no metallic tastes and odors of any kind.
What We Do Not Like
Even though the filter is adept at eliminating finer sediments and chlorine, it will struggle to filter out the iron and other heavy sediments. So it is advised that you buy extra 2 or 3 filters and fit it with the 3M if you think that your municipal water supply is horrible.
Putting heavy pressure on the filters will usually require you to buy a new one, and while the filters are not expensive, they are not quite cheap either.
In terms of performance based on price, this is one of the better whole house water filters in the market. You just need to figure out if your municipal water supply is moderate at best.
7. Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Sediment Water
This is one of the most affordable yet dependable home water filters on the list. Even though it is extremely cheap, the house water filter offers a lot of versatility and so is a great value option for your home. Culligan has produced excellent water filters over the years and here is why.
- It is very cheap.
- It has a small size and is a perfect option for residential homes.
- The WH-HD200-C operates on battery.
- Pressure drops do not happen with the water filter.
- It can be used with any kind of filter cartridges.
- It has WQA, NSF, and CSA certification.
What We Like
Everything about the Culligan water filter system is great. Besides great pricing, assembling the water filter is a breeze and inlet/outlet system makes it very easy to connect the filter to your whole house.
Since it is compatible with all kinds of cartridges; you get to choose what kind of filter you want with the whole house water filtration system.
Moreover, the filter is excellent at removing all kinds of sediments and impurities from your water supply; it also prevents scaling, and deposition of harmful substances. It also features a whole house water softener to prevent scaling.
Another great thing about the Culligan water filter is that it operates on battery, and can, therefore, run even without electricity. This provides you with constant water supply even in places where you have no power.
What We Do Not Like
While it is a very cheap body when you compare it to other filters in the market, it, however, does not come with any filters. You have to buy them separately; and this, however, gives you the choice of how expensive or inexpensive you want your filter to be.
Another issue with the system is that some people have said that filters must be changed quite frequently. This again has to do with the quality of the filter you purchase.
You normally do not see much versatility when purchasing a water filter, but Culligan has taken the step to give you a home water filter that can be shaped exactly how you want it to be. All in all, this is a great water filtration system to have.
8. Apex 3-Stage Whole House 20-Inch Bug Blue Water Filtration System
The Apex MR-3030 is one of the most reliable water filtration units in the world and for a good cause. Its 3-stage filtration process eliminates almost all impurities from your water supply. However, this is not the cheapest of water filters, but this does ranks amongst the best whole house water filters in the current market.
- It has a 3-stage filtration system
- The first stage removes large particles such as rust and sediments.
- 2nd stage removes chlorine, iron, mercury and other impurities.
- The last stage removes chlorine, bad taste, and odor.
- You can either mount it on the wall and on the ground.
- It is NSF approved.
- It has a 1-inch inlet/outlet to maintain high pressure.
- You can use many filters but the Apex filters can last up to 6 months which is more than most filters out there.
What We Like
The 3-stage filtration process makes this water filter a winner since it removes almost all impurities and odor from any water supply. Moreover, the filter also removes any kinds of clogging and fall of water pressure.
Another thing to praise about the MR-3030 is that it is made from BPA free materials and that further makes it safe to drink water. Furthermore, if you are not satisfied with the water filtration system, then Apex will refund or replace the unit as per your wishes.
What We Do Not Like
A major dislike for the Apex MR-3030 is its low filtration capacity of just 20,000 gallons which even lower end water filtration systems overpasses. More so, you just do not pay as much as the MR-3030’s price and not get at least 100,000 gallons. This capacity best makes the system a good fit for smaller houses. You either have to buy another system or frequently change the filter on this model.
Another negative aspect of Apex is its customer service which does not respond promptly.
While this might not be the best buy for such a price range, this does, however, provide you with water of the highest quality. So if you are in it for that alone, then this just might be the filter for you.
9. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House 15,000 Gallon Water Filtration System
This is no doubt one of the most affordable water treatment systems on the list. The DuPont WFPF13003B’s price and the three years warranty certainly makes sure that you do not commit a single mistake purchasing this system. The DuPont water filter review will assure you of why this is a good purchase for the year.
- It can filter up to 15,000 gallons of water.
- It features a standard 500 series Poly Block Cartridge.
- It has a 3-year warranty period.
- It is very cheap.
- It comes with a wrench and bracket for easy installation.
- It is NSF and ANSI certified.
What We Like
The water treatment system comes with a standard 10-inch micron filter which is great for removing dust and sediments. More so, you only need to pay a fraction of what you pay for other multi-stage water filter systems.
An excellent idea would be to keep two to three more purifiers after this system such as a 10-inch micron filter then a 5, then a one. This certainly ensures that you get perfectly clean water to use. Lastly, one of the most beneficial aspects of this filter is that you do not need to hire plumbers to set this one up since it is very easy to do so.
What We Do Not Like
You have to admit that at this price, you just cannot get the perfect water treatment for your home. While the system is great at removing large particles with ease, it will suffer when purifying well water and bad municipal water.
If you need a system for plumbing protection, then this will work for you perfectly. However, you need something more than this, then buying a different water treatment system is advised.
This might be the most affordable water filter on the list but it does not provide adequate protection against sediments if you want to filter water that is good enough for drinking.
10. Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filtration System
The Watts WH-LD is another cheap that is best suited for residential buildings. Watts has confirmed that the selling point of the water filtration system is that when connected to a home’s main water supply, the filter will help to prolong the lifespan of all household fixtures such as washing machines and dishwashers.
- It is very easy to install.
- It is NSF certified.
- It has a one year warranty.
- The system features a transparent body that lets you see the process inside.
- It comes with a wrench and 3 replacement filters.
- The 50 micron filters remove all impurities such as sediments, dust, and rust from your water.
- It keeps scales and sediments at bay that protects your water softener.
What We Like
Since this is a cheap water filtration system, Watts has managed to make it friendly enough for it to be able to work with other filtering systems; this means double protection for your water supply!
Hard water is a big concern since this alone costs you 50% for all maintenance on your plumbing. The WH-LD, however, protects your water softeners to the point that hard water does not scale your system at all.
Last, of all, installation is very easy and changing the filter will take you 5 minutes top.
What We Do Not Like
The filter inside will not remove chlorine since you need a charcoal filter for that. This is a pressing concern since chlorine is harmful and gives off a bad odor.
A big problem that some customer has faced in the past is that the transparent body cracks on pressure. This concern, however, has not been common. Also, it is advised that you construct a drain below the filter in case of water leaks.
The selling point of the Watts WH-LD besides it ‘OK’ filtration system is that it also protects you appliances beside your health. That, with the low price of the system makes it a must have for many out there.
11. Aquios FS-220 Salt Free Water Softener and Filtration System
The Aquios FS-220 is the first salt free water softener on the list and with good cause. First of all, it has an excellent filtration system that helps keep you healthy and in shape. Second, the FS-220’s softening helps keep in appliances safe by reducing lime-scale buildup.
- The system does both the job of a water filter and a water softener.
- It has a carbon block filter that is rated at 5 microns.
- The FS-220 has no electrical components, and therefore does no consume electricity.
- It works at 12 GPM and has a recommended water pressure of 80 psi.
- It has a capacity rating of 40,000 gallons of household water.
- It has a hardness reduction rating of 22 grains per gallon and chlorine reduction of 12,000 ppm.
What We Like
It has a slim and compact design that lets you set it up in tight spaces. Moreover, the design & mechanism of the system makes it easy for you to set up.
The unique feature of the FS-220 that most other water filters do not have is the fact that it does no consume electricity. This is because there are no electrical components inside! This feature lets you set up the water filtration system anywhere you want.
The filtration system is as clean as it gets; the system can eliminate hard sediments, chlorine, and other material buildups. However, everything does not end there since this also has a water softener built inside that reduces lime-scale buildup.
What We Do Not Like
The filters itself are quite costly even though the system is moderately priced at best. To have the system working effectively, you need to replace the filter per 40,000 gallons of use. The bad side of replacing these filter cartridges is that those can be costly.
Although it does quite a decent job of reducing lime-scale buildup and clearing hard sediments, you have to keep in mind if both those are on the worst side of things. Meaning that if the hardness of the water is on the harder side of the scale and if the water supply has heavy sediments in it, you need to change filters quite often which can be very costly.
The Aquios FS-220 might not seem much, but if you have money to spare, you might just be able to make this the best water filter in the market.
12. Filtrete Large Capacity Granulated Activated Carbon Whole House Water Filter
This large Filtrete Whole House Water Filter is recommended if you have 3 or more bathrooms in your house. The Carbon filter is great for removing sediment, dust, slit, and chlorine from your water supply, leaving you with clean and clear water for use.
- The model features 3 styles and you can choose each one based on what kind of water you are supplied. The 30 micron filter is great for reducing sand, sediments, rush, and much more; the great taste filter can take a step further by filtering chlorine taste and odor.
- It comes with a 3 months filter.
- Replacement filters are available in three types and they are granulated, pleated, and grooved carbon filters.
- It is certified by WQA against NSF/ANSI Standard 42.
- It is very to install.
What We Like
The three styles of filter that the water filtration system provides give you a lot of versatility on what kind of a filter you want. This lets you spend exactly the kind of money you want and nothing more. If you want to remove rust and sediments, then the 30-micron filter will do the trick. If you want healthy drinking water, then the great taste filter will do your job. You also have a 5-micron filter for that extra protection.
Installing the system and mounting the filter cartridge is very easy and you can do so without the help of plumbers which would increase your spending.
What We Do Not Like
It has been seen my customers that the filter lifespan is usually shorter than what is expected. The standard filter should last more than 6 months and with most municipal water supplies, the filter cannot last that long.
This product will definitely come in handy if you want versatility, and if you are in a tight budget since it is also quite cheap. For the filtration process alone, the system does its job perfectly well. However, you might have to spend money on filters in the future, depending on your water supply.
13. GOLDEN ICEPURE Whole House Big Blue Sediment and Carbon Combinated Water Filter
Unlike the other products, this is a filter and not a water filtration system itself. However, this comes on the list because of its compatibility with major brands such as GE, Culligan, DuPont, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and many others. The best thing about this water filter is its heavy duty mechanism.
- This is a heavy duty universal filter for good filters like Whirlpool, GE, Culligan, DuPont, and many more.
- It is a 5 micron rated filter.
- It is made from food grade materials and is 100% fresh polypropylene.
- It is a NSF certified Coconut shell activated carbon filter.
- It consists of big blue sediments and carbon combinated filter that is 10 inch in size.
- It has a flow rate of 2 – 2.5 GPM.
- The package comes with 2 filters.
What We Like
The best thing about this water filter is that it completely removes any kinds of odor, be it from chlorine or hydrogen sulfide. Even more, since this is made for heavy duty water filtration systems, the filters integrate with them perfectly without any trouble.
The 5-micron filter is also great at removing all kinds of sediments from your water supply and it has an authenticated removal rate of 95%. Moreover, the filter has 3 layers of filtration and micron rating increases as water goes from the outer layer to the inner layer.
The best thing about the Icepure water filter is that it is incredibly cheap and most of the customer who buys them usually come for a second one soon after.
What We Do Not Like
Some people have complained that it takes quite a lot of time for the chlorine level to go down after you install the filter into the system. This is quite the mystery since carbon filter does not need to be “Broken in” like other filters do.
As far as water filters go, this is as good as it gets. There are barely any complains out there about this filter and for good cause. You will not find many filters out there that can perfectly compliment heavy duty water filtration systems such as GE, Culligan, and Whirlpool. This is the best home water filter on the list.
14. Filtrete Standard Capacity Whole House Grooved Water Filter
Just like Filtrete Granulated Carbon filter, this is the grooved version of the model. The grooved version of the model is almost the same kind except this can last longer than the previous version. However, this is recommended if you have two or less than two bathrooms in your house.
- It has a 50 micron rating.
- It is certified by NSF International against NSF/ANSI Standard 42.
- The filter can last up to 6 months.
- The filter replacements are available in 3 months and 6 months version.
- Installation is very easy.
- It has a red button on top to unscrew the filter. (This is for pressure release)
- The length measures at 9-3/4”, diameter measures at 2-3/4”, and the center hole measures at 1”.
- The filter is quite cheap.
What We Like
The Filtrete Grooved Water Filter is much more long-lasting than the Granulated Whole house water filter. Also, the filter is best when used with models like the Whirlpool WHCF-DWHV because it allows the filter to last 4 to 6 weeks without any kinds of problem on filtering.
Allowing the filter to slowly fill up with water will prevent clogging, and sediment buildup, which happens when you have air and sediment together inside a filter.
Even though the grooved version is much cheaper than the granulated carbon filter, it is longer lasting. This alone makes the grooved model a much more viable option than the granulated one.
What We Do Not Like
The worst part of the grooved filter is that it is not a carbon filter and that will completely prevent you from getting any kind of drinking water since chemicals of any kind will not be filtered out.
To bypass this problem, you need to have a multi-stage water filtration system that will allow you to have more one filter at a time; this will allow you to have a carbon filter and the grooved filter working side-by-side to have the perfect drinking water for your house. However, this might prove to be costly to the otherwise very cheap filter.
If you buy this filter alone, then know that all types of sediments will be filtered out. However, you will not be able to filter out chemical, leaving you with water that is good for use inside the bathroom, but will be undrinkable.
15. Aquaboon 4-Pack of 5 Micron 10” x 4.5” Sediment Water Filter Whole House
Aquaboon has been known to make outstanding Water filters over the years, and the 5 Micron 10 x 4.5 filters are prime examples. The company sells packs of filters together and besides the standard four, you can also get packs of 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, and 20. However, it is very unlikely that you would need a pack of 20 for residential homes.
- It has many pack options to choose from.
- It has a 5 Micron rating.
- It uses big blue sediment PP water filter cartridges and they are multi-layered.
- It has a long lifespan since you only need to change it two or three times a year. You also have to take in the quality of the water supply.
- It has four stages of filtration.
- The filter has a flow rate of 5 GPM.
- It has a filter life of 10,000 gallons.
- It has a max operating psi of 60.
What We Like
The best thing about the Aquaboon 4-pack water filters is that you get 4 filters almost at the same amount of money you get for other water filters. This not only is a great water filter that has four stages of filtration but the pack lets you have filters that will last you well over a year.
Almost every user has complimented that no matter from which municipal water supply your home is connected to, you will get clean water after all the dirt is filtered out, no matter how dirty it might be.
What We Do Not Like
The thing with this filter is that you need to buy it in packs if you want the best value for your money. So this means that if you only need one of these filters, buying it would be a loss in a sense since buy just four or six would them would cost much less and would last for at least 2 years.
The Aquaboon filter is definitely for those who want to buy filters in bulk that would last them for years. It has been tested that buying six or four of them would last you at least two years.
16. WHIRLPOOL Standard Capacity Whole House Filtration Replacement Filter
The brand name alone should be proof enough of how excellent a product the Whirlpool replacement filters might be. These are some of the best filters in the market at almost a quarter of the price you pay for other filters. Even so, the quality of these products is just as good as the best of them out there.
- It is very cheap.
- It comes in a pack of 2.
- It has a micron rating of 5.
- It has a rigid cartridge construction and has a grooved surface for increased surface area.
- It is certified by NSF international against NSF/ANSI Standard 42 for the reduction of the particulate class V.
- The filter has an approximate lifespan of 6 months.
- The product is ideal for a household of 1 to 4 persons.
What We Like
The grooved surface area makes sure that filtration is more effective than other pleated filters that is smooth. Unlike other filters at this price range, the Whirlpool WHKF-GD05 is actually able to remove major impurities like sand, slit, rust, soil, and sediments like particular ease and is still able to last more than 3 months; in fact, its lifespan is double that.
The best thing about the filter is that even if it is branded, it still costs almost 40% less than other branded filters in the market.
What We Do Not Like
This will not remove chlorine and other chemicals since this is only a grooved water filter instead of a carbon filter. It does a fine job of removing sediment and rust; however, you need a carbon filter in addition to this to have access to bathroom water and drinking water as well.
This has the highest customer rating amongst all other filters in the market. There is no doubt that the WHKD-GD05 is the best water filter in the market and has the best value for money.
How to Choose the Best Whole House Water Filter Systems For Home
It is not easy to choose the correct whole house water filtration system and saltless water softener especially since there are many options to choose from and many water softener reviews to look at. However, our guide will give you a complete and clear guide as to which system might be the best one for your home.
What to Look for When Buying a Whole House Water Filter
There are many aspects to a water filter and you need to know exactly what it is that you are looking for.
- Types of Filter
There are different types of water filter in the market, and the most common one is that carbon block water filter. The not only does a fine job of holding back sediments but it also removes chlorine and other chemicals to make you water perfectly healthy to drink. It is very important to note that different filter blocks are made to filter different contaminants. You must first understand the quality of water you are supplied with. For example, if your water supply is high on heavy metal contamination's, then you need a copper-zinc filter to filter out those impurities. If you have a high amount of chlorine, bad odor, and chemicals, then you need a carbon filter to eliminate them (look at coconut shell carbon filter). Lastly, if your water supply is high on bacterial growth, then you need a UV filter.
- Water Flow
Water Flow is a big issue that you MUST look at when buying a water filter. This is because different water filters filter out different amounts of water per minute. This means that if you own a big home, then you need a water filtration system that filters more than 20 gallons per minute since this filtered water will then go to your appliances. If you own a smaller house, then you might want to buy a water filtration system that can filter at least 10 gallons per minute.
- Filter Lifespan
Each filter has a lifespan, and that is usually between 3 months to a year. However, the best water filters out there can serve you up to a million gallons of water until you need to change to a new one! Yet they are insanely pricy and therefore, you need to decide a budget before going to store. Normally people tend to buy filters in a pack which usually can last them a year or two at most. All in all, you have to look at water consumption in your house and your budget when buying a water filter.
- Micron Rating
Micron rating is also very important when dealing with water filters since this is what tells you how much power your system holds and how effectively your system will filter impurities. If you have the best possible filter in the market then it will block anything that is over 0.35 microns in size. A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter. Keep in mind the smaller the micron rating is, the more expensive your water filter will get. It is recommended that for average households, it is important to buy at least a 5 micron rated water filter. Although it is completely dependent on what type of water supply your house is connected to.
When and why is a Water Filtration System Necessary?
It is obvious that you need a water filtration system to improve the quality of your water supply. There are multiple reasons that you need a home water filtration system for and they can be –
- When your water is contaminated with chlorine and other chemicals.
- Your water has a high amount of bacterial growth.
- Your water has a bad odor and weird taste.
- You have cloudy water.
These are some of the many reasons for you to buy a water filtration system for your home. The best thing you can do is buy a test kit for your water that will tell you if a water filtration system is necessary since buying and maintaining a system can prove to be costly especially if you have a big house where you do not need one. Some filters can cost more than 1,500 USD!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Use a Whole Home Water Filter?
A home water filter is best used when you have a contaminated supply of water. This happens when your water supply is connected to the Municipal water supply or from a well. There are several ways for you to notice when you need a water filtration system, but the easiest way to recognize the need for one when your water is chlorinated. This is because chlorinated water gives off a distinct odor that is impossible to miss and certainly so when you try to drink it.
It is pretty common to have chlorinated water since chlorine is used in Water Treatment plants to disinfect water supplies before they are supplied to residents. Some people are even used to drinking chlorinated water; however, it can be very harmful to your health.
One of the most common effects of using chlorinated water is that it will leave your skin dry and your hair quite dull. After you install a water filter, you will see a noticeable change in your skin and hair.
A very important reason to buy a whole house water filter is that it is very environment-friendly. It does not produce any byproducts that later harm the environment. Some water filters do not even require you to connect it to an electrical outlet for power.
Think of what happens when you buy bottled water; you leave a massive amount of carbon footprints behind, and they come in plastic bottles, of which, not all are recycled and many discarded which do not decompose and leave the environment contaminated.
These are some of the many reasons why it is crucial to buy a whole house water supply. Even aside from chlorine contamination, you have rust, silt, sediment, and heavy metal contaminations all the time, and while some people are used to drinking chlorine water, it is certainly impossible to drink water that is filled with heavy metals, rusts, and sediments. A glass of water like this will not be drinkable at all.
How to Install and Change Whole House Water Filters?
Different water filtration system will require you to install them differently. However, there is a general why to do so, and if you do not want the help of a plumber to set up the filtration system, then you can follow these steps to do so.
- First turn off the main water supply and then drain the rest of the system.
- Choose where you want your system to be and mark it. Choose a place where it will be easy to get to since you need to change filters periodically.
- Cut up the pipe according to the length that you need.
- Install the compression nuts and fittings as it is told in the instruction manual that you get with the system since this is where different systems are required different approaches. Make sure you use Teflon tapes to eliminate the risk of leaks.
- Install the inlets and outlets by making sure that they are facing the right directions.
- Check for leaks after installing the system.
How to Change a Water filter?
It is very easy to change water filters, all you have to do is follow the few steps necessary –
- Turn off the inlet valve.
- You should have a provided wrench; use it to screw the filter off. (Keep a bucket at hand to collect droplets).
- It is advised that you clean the inside of the filter before installing a new one.
- Insert the new filter and make sure to wrench it tight.
- Turn on the valve slowly to let the water in without any air pockets to prevent lime-scaling.
- Be sure to keep the water running for at least 10 to 20 minutes before drinking water.
How to Build Your Own 3-Stage Whole House Water Filter?
- Installing a 3-Stage Water filter is pretty easy, in fact, it is almost as simple as installing one simple water filter. To do so, you need to follow a few steps while also keeping in mind some important notes.
- Some people try to bypass to filters when installing a water filtration system. Most people do that to get unfiltered water through some faucets. This is not recommended since you are open to the chance of accidentally open one and have all those unfiltered water rush into your house. In fact, you do not need to do that for a number of reasons. It takes only a matter of minutes to have filters in place. Otherwise, if you do want unfiltered water, all you have to do is tap off the faucet before it comes to the filter.
- Install a pressure gauge before and after your filter chain if you want to know exactly when you have to change your water filter. You just need to install one between each of the filters to know when a change is needed. Even if this might prove to be costly, it is one time only and will prove really helpful in the future.
- Make you that when you build the system, you test the screwing properly before everything is finalized. A fault in this will usually result in either accidental leaks, or it will make it a pain to get the filter hosing off.
- Make sure to install isolation valves before and after the chain so that you do not need to drain the entire system to change just one filter.
- There are red pressure release buttons on systems, if your one does not have it, install a sediment tap to relieve pressure. This will prove to be convenient in the future.
- Also, the flow rate specified is for one filter only, so when installing 3 in a row, the pressure will decrease.
What do whole house water filters remove?
It does not matter where your water comes from; you can be certain that wherever it comes from, your water can be much better if you install a home water filtration system.
The most common thing that water filters eliminate is chlorine and other harmful chemicals. Chlorine is most common since all water treatment plants use it to disinfect water from bacteria and other harmful contaminants. Water filters use a carbon block filter to remove chlorine and other chemicals. These filters also remove bad taste and odor from water supplies when necessary. IcePure has a great taste filter that is particularly designed for this purpose and can do a better job than most other filters that are built to do just that.
Beside chlorine removal, water filters can also remove different types of sediments like dirt, sand, rust, and dust. If your water supply has a high amount of sediments, then you should consider buying a multi-stage filtration system which makes the water finer with each stage. This is where the use of reusable filters comes in; in case you have a water supply with fewer sediments, use disposable finer filters.
Iron is another major issue for drinking water, and there are two types of it – ferric (rust or red water iron) and ferrous (dissolved and clean water iron). In case of red water iron, you need a sediment filter since the sediments are not actually dissolved, but in case of clear water iron, oxidation or ion exchange filters are needed.
These are more or less what you expect a water filtration system would remove from your water supply.
Where are Whole House Water Filters Installed?
It is advised that you install the water filtration system as close to the entry point as possible, and most of the time, this is where your water heater is located at. If possible installing the water filter even before the water heater is beneficial since there is a chance that the unfiltered water may cause lime-scaling on the walls of your water heater if your water supply is high on hard water.
However, this is not always so since you must first figure out where you are getting the water from since acquiring it from a municipal source and a well will affect the order your system is arranged in. Scale prevention is the primary problem of why you must install a water filter before all other appliances.
If your water comes from a well then the first thing you have is the well pump to pull up water, then the next thing you set up is the pressure tank. Since there is no chlorine is well water, you really do not need to read water softener reviews to understand how that would work.
If your water comes from a municipal water supply then you need to do the exact opposite. You need to install the water filter first so it protects other appliances from scaling. This will prolong the life of all of your appliances at home.
Advantages and Disadvantages of using UV Water Filters
You need UV filters mostly when there is a high amount of bacterial growth inside your home or if your water supply has a high amount of bacteria, like in wells. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of using UV water filters –
- The taste and odor of water is unaffected since it does not use any kinds of chemical to filter water.
- You have to invest very little when installing a UV filter since there is almost no cost of investment and maintenance. All you need to do is change the filter once a year and you are good to go for another long year.
- Even though chlorine is used to eliminate microorganisms, there are some out there that are resistant to chlorine; however, with the use of UV filters, you can eliminate even them. UV filters are able to eliminate chlorine resistant bacteria such as Giardia, E-coil, and many more.
- This is an eco-friendly process since it does not involve any kind of chemical, and neither does it add anything to the water. This is a completely physical process – the UV rays eliminate the genetic structure of the microorganism in question, making them ineffective.
- It is true that UV filters almost completely eliminates all kinds of microorganisms in your water, but that is as far as you can go with that. UV water filters will not eliminate chemical, heavy metals, sediments, volatile contaminants, and hard water. This means you must set up a multi-stage water filtration system with other filters of another type to have safe water to drink.
- Installing a multi-stage filter is very costly since these systems are expensive. Add that with buying two or more filters together and you have a big purchase in the future.
Which Whole House Water Filtration System is the Best?
This question does not actually have one answer; in fact, there is no best water filter at all. What is the answer however is the fact that through close analysis of your water supply and household need, you can find the water supply that is best for you and you only!
There are different kinds of water supply out in the market. First of let’s consider the expensive ones out there. We can look at Aquasana’s EQ-1000 which costs well over one thousand dollars. It is very versatile and can do a lot of stuff while lasting up to 1 million gallons of use! However, can you really call it the best for you if you have a small house and are willing with 2 to 3 persons, or if you are living alone?
The 3M Aqua-Pure is another good water filter out there you can get but only at a fraction of the price of the exalted EQ-1000. This filter will perfectly do all the jobs for you but for a small home. However, it does tend to have expensive filters and will clog up from time to time. But, if you are in no place to spend over a thousand dollars on water filtration systems, then this is the stuff for you.
The DuPont WFHD13001B is another good example of a good water filter that is way cheaper than the ones mentioned above, coming at only 30 bucks. This does the job of filtration perfectly, but for a small house of 1 to 4 people. It also has cheap filters that you can buy anytime without trouble and is very easy to install.
This means that the best water filter is what you need for your house and yours alone. Explore these water filters on the water filter reviews above and you will certainly find the best one that suits your needs.
How Much Does a Whole House Water Filter Cost?
The cost of a water filter will depend upon what type and what filter you are buying. If you are looking at water filtration systems alone, then the most expensive ones will cost you around 1,500 USD while cheaper ones are valued at as low as 30 USD! However, do not mistake that these cheaper ones are bad. They just do their tasks on a smaller scale than the more expensive ones.
You also need to think about what and how many filters you need with your system. Some systems support multiple filters, and some systems will support only one.
Filters like the Home Master HMF3SDGC support up to 3 filters but is quite costly, especially when you compare it to the DuPont WFHD13001B. Besides that, each of the filters must be changed when its lifetime is up, and that means the more filter you have, the more your system will cost when going for maintenance.
Furthermore, buying the home water filter is not the only cost you will face if you do not know how to set it up, and that means you have to hire a plumber to complete the installation. Usually, plumbers can charge you as high as 100 USD depending on the workload!
How often should I change my water filter or how long does a water filter last?
The estimated lifespan of a water filter is usually written on the box it comes in. However, you will find that most of the time, these water filters will not work as long as what is projected and this is because of your water supply. If it is full of bacteria and heavy metals and sediments, you can be certain your filter will not last as long it is projected unless you have a costly one, like the Aquasana’s Premium Rhino.
Cheaper water filters usually have a lifespan of 3 to 6 months. Regarding water capacity, these can last up to 15,000 to 30,000 gallons of use. However, EQ-1000’s filter can last of 1 million gallons of use! That can last you more than five years even if you are living in a large house with lots of people living together.
An average water filter like the 3M has a capacity of 300,000 gallons and can last you around three years, and this altogether increases the lifespan of all other appliances in your house that uses water.
Replacing these filters are the main cost of maintenance since there is little that you do after buying the water filtration system itself. To replace the filters promptly, mark your calendar, or install pressure gauges between each filter. If you suffer frequent pressure drops, then it is time to change your filter.
What happens if water filter is not changed and is it not dangerous to change water filter?
If you look at other appliances, you will notice that each that something has a lifespan and should not be used beyond that. Consider carbon or charcoal filters; they are very dense pieces of carbon that act as a sponge for contaminants; they have a threshold that you should not cross, which would otherwise result in very unclean water.
Other than that, filters have a lifespan up to which it can filter out contaminants. If you go beyond that, the filters will not properly anymore.
If you do not change your water filter, then multiple things can happen. The first thing that can happen is that your water can go through the filter completely unfiltered; this will not only be a real issue to your health, and it will also further shorten the lifespan of other appliances since there is nothing that will stop hard water from scaling your system.
It is true that first world countries usually do not have many pathogens in tap water, however, even after that, you should have a filter in space that will eliminate other culprits in the water. No matter where you live, there will always be contaminants in water if you do not have a water filter in place.
Moreover, if you do not change your filters in time, there will be a gradual buildup of minerals that will turn into kidney stones. Now, these stones are not harmful more or else; however, these are very hard to get rid of and are very costly. This is because kidney stones are removed using ultrasound technology.
Moreover, the impurities that will build up will in pipes and faucets will not be filtered if you do not change filters. Lastly, the most annoying thing about clogging is the reduction of water pressure. This will significantly affect all your appliances at home since the water filter is the entry point of all the water coming to your home.
Do unused water filters expire?
If unused water filters are left dry and in cold temperatures, it can last forever, and you can easily stock up on some of them that can last you a few years. However, the most important thing to remember is that if you get it wet, even if you do not install it in, the thing changes. This is where your filter will start to be vulnerable to bacterial growths.
This is because water filters are made of carbon and no chemicals. Therefore, if you use the filter in small volumes and leave it untouched for a few days, it will serve you well beyond the expected time of death.
How often do you change Aquasana’s filters?
Aquasana’s filters are almost legendary since the EQ-1000 has a 1,000,000 gallons lifespan. Most normal filters only have a capacity of 15,000 to 30,000 gallons while moderately priced filters are rated at 300,000 gallons which are not even half of that of an Aquasana filter.
However, normal high-rated Aquasana filters can last up to 6 months of constant use, and these must be bought separately. Moreover, Aquasana’s cartridges mostly come in packs of 2 that can last you a year, and since you can stock them up without having to worry about expiry date, you can stock them up for years to come.
Usually, if continuously used, people tend to change filters after six months of use.
If you read out guide, you can rest assured that you can find exactly which whole house water filter you need for your home. Our whole house water filter reviews are continuously updated to complement the ever-changing market of today.
You have to note that the best whole house water filter does not necessarily equate to being the most expensive one on the market; instead, it is the one that gives you the most exceptional value for your money.
Therefore, hope this guide has helped you decide which water filter best suits your needs and happy buying!