A whole house water filter is the perfect solution for purifying all the water flowing through your house with just one filter. Once installed, this filter will be passed through all the faucets and taps in your home. Water purifiers offer many benefits in addition to cleaning water, one of which is preserving the flavor and smell of water rather than merely purifying it. Additionally, you need to ensure that the water contains the right minerals and is hard enough. Here are some of the best whole-house water filters on the market that consider all of these things.
Our Top Picks for 2022
Here are the top 16 whole house water filter reviews without further ado. The list includes leading brands like iSpring, Home Master, and even Apex.
iSpring FCRC25B Lead & Iron Reducing Replacement Water Filter
ISpring is a family-owned leading water filter company that has become a heavyweight in the whole water filters for more than a decade. The iSpring FCRC25B is an excellent whole house water filter with tremendous value for your money. However, the fantastic features that the water filtration system packs come at a reasonable and affordable price.
- It effectively reduces lead levels in the water below 15ppb (this is the E.P.A. standard for drinking water).
- It has an ultra-high capacity of up to 150,000 gallons of water.
- It has a filter life of 15,000 ppm for lead and 30,000 ppm for iron.
- It has a flow rate of 3 to 4.5 GPM.
- It has a psi drop of 5 at a flow rate of 4 G.P.M.
- The feed water temperature is around 40 – 120F.
- The feed water pressure is around 20 – 100 psi.
This is a R/O drinking water cartridge made from F.D.A. certified materials. The FCRC25B can remove lead and other heavy materials from water and can carry a capacity of 2500 ppm gallons, even in hard water. The product can be considered relatively cheap and affordable given that the water capacity and filter life are higher standards.
The water filter can also remove iron with the help of a R/O pre-filter tire filterable for the material of more than 5000 ppm gallons! The water filter can also remove iron fouling and metallic tastes in drinking water by removing various materials like iron, copper, cesium, and galvanized pipes.
Although the filter’s water capacity is relatively high, it is apparent that it is not designed for a large household. The filter has a relatively high water capacity, but it’s clear that it’s not intended for houses with lots of water. Moreover, the iron reduction filter capacity is much lower than the leadership capacity, so there is a chance that the filter will lose effectiveness before the life expectancy has expired.
Given the price, the FCRC25B packs excellent features, and it will last longer than most whole house water filters on the market. This is a must-have product if you live in a small to medium-sized house.
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is an elite whole house water purification system from a company that makes the top ten lists of entire house water filters every year. Home Master water filtration systems deliver clean and clear water with pressure performance that you rarely get from other home water filtration systems.
- It has a 3-stage water filtration system.
- It has a flow rate of 15 gallons per minute!
- It houses multi gradient density replaceable sediment that makes for a more exemplary filtration system, and it also has a speck of great dirt holding capacity.
- Filtration is down to 1 micron!
- It has a 100,000-gallon capacity coconut shell carbon filter that can provide your family with a full year of crystal clear and tasteful water.
- It has an excellent purification system that can remove up to 95% of iron, manganese, sediments, chemicals, and many other harmful substances. This also makes your water smell clean and removes foul tastes.
- The immense size of the filters increases the flow rate and decreases the maintenance frequency.
The most helpful feature of the water filter is that it has a 3-stage filtration system that can remove up to 95% of harmful substances from water. Besides that, the filter is also mighty and can remove dirt and chemicals with ease and without losing any water pressure.
Due to its capacity and excellent filtration system, the home water filter is usable in large housings. Due to its power and perfect filtration system, the home water filter is functional in ample accommodations. The oversized filters are a godsend since it increases the flow rate tenfold than any other.
It does not a surprise that this costs a lot since it has a lot of power and functions that you would not find in conventional home water filter systems. However, since this is made for bigger houses, the price is justified in a sense.
Due to missteps, there have been several cases where users get tainted water. There have also been complaints that the filter is quite challenging and expensive. Also, some people say that iron is not filtered correctly, resulting in yellow-colored water.
If you are looking for the best water filter out there in the market and have a pretty large house, then there is no doubt that this is the filter for you. The water filter capacity, 3-stage purification system, and filter size make up one heck of a water filter!
Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
Given the brand of the HMF2SDGC, it should not come as a surprise that you have two consecutive Home Master water filters on the list. This filter, in particular, is almost similar to the HMF3SDGFEC, and the main difference is that this one houses a 2-stage filtration process instead of three.
- Despite being a 2-stage water filter system, this product offers five layers of filtration.
- The taste and odor of chlorine and other chemicals are filtered out with the help of a coconut shell carbon filter.
- The carbon capacity of the water filter is 95,000. The lifespan of the 2ndfilter is based on the contamination of the water supply.
- Like the 3-stage sibling, this too can remove up to 95% of the contaminants in your water supply.
- You get a 2-year warranty with the house water filter.
- There is a 1-inch inlet/outlet set of ports with the filter.
Even though Home Master says that the maximum water pressure is 15 gallons per minute, you can get 20 gallons at max. However, using the filter at this pressure level cannot be advised. The oversized filters are also helpful since they improve the flow rate and decrease the number of times you need to get to the doctor!
The HMF2SDGCC can also be used with additional purification products made for the home. To get the complete system running smoothly, you have to connect the filter behind your water softener or a U.V. sanitizer.
Even though the filter is quite expensive, this is considered an entry-level limited filtration system. This works well with municipal water supplies but will suffer while working with wells.
Moreover, the filter is made to work as a sediment and chlorine remover, and thus, you cannot remove manganese, iron, and sulfur with this variant.
If you are looking for a reliable water filter for a moderately sized house in the suburbs or a municipal, this is the perfect filter. Even though this variant has tolerance issues, there are solutions to them.
Aquasana Premium Rhino
As far as premium whole house water filters go, this is as good as they get. The Aquasana Premium Rhino is as rich in features as it is long-lasting. The rating capacity of the filter alone makes it a very famous water filter. This just might be the best water filtration system for the home.
- It has four filtration stages.
- It has a pre-filter prefilter of three months and a posts filter lifespan of 12 months. The unit itself has a lifespan of 10 years or 1,000,000 gallons!
- The water flow rate is 7 G.P.M.
- It removes 97% of chlorine from your water supply!
- It has a warranty of 2 years and guaranteed money back for 90 days.
There is no doubt that the highlight of the Premium Rhino is how dependable this thing is. The rating capacity, flow rate, and warranty alone ensure that maintenance frequency is kept to a minimum. The four filtration stages ensure that all dirt, bacteria, chlorine, and other metals are filtered to give you clean and pristine water.
Even though this is a significant water filter, it is, in fact, relatively easy to install. If you do not want to call a plumber to help you set it up, you get the full installation manual on Aquasana’s website.
Even though the filtration process is quite good and ensures that you have clean water all year round, it is not as good as reverse osmosis. So, even though the Aquasana water filter is very dependable, you might have to look elsewhere if you want something above that.
Moreover, the installation must be done with the help of a professional if you want to ensure that the warranty stays intact. This makes no sense since the process itself is not that hard and is written on their website.
Last of all, since this is a premium water filter, it is pretty expensive.
The name says it all, the Rhino is one of the most effective water filters on the market, and the 0.35-micron filter it houses is the most refined one. So, even though the filter is expensive, the N.S.F. certification and unique filtration system more than makeup for the whole house water filter price.
Express Water Whole House Water Filter, 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System
The Express Water Whole House Water Filter has everything you need in a filter for homes. It eliminates contaminants and chemicals through multiple stages of filtration, keeping your water perfectly clean. Here is the Express Water Whole House Water Filter review without further delay.
- The system comes with a water pressure gauge. The maximum working pressure is 150 psi.
- It uses the reverse osmosis system that is the best among all water filters.
- The first stage is the sediment stage, next is the Granular Activated Carbon (G.A.C.) filter, and lastly comes the Carbon Block C.T.O. cartridges.
- The carbon filters are made from coconut shell carbon, offering much more advanced filtration than ordinary run-of-the-mill filters.
This is one of those water purification systems that work perfectly with most water supplies. With the water softeners and the filter itself, you get a vast improvement in water than with any other filters out there. The filter will leave you no bad tastes and odors in the water.
One important thing to notice is that you get no water pressure drops after installation, unlike most whole house water filter systems. The installation process is straightforward, and you do not need plumbers to help you.
Lastly, with the water pressure gauge, you can monitor the pressure. This might not seem much, but it is a blessing if a disaster is waiting to happen.
Note that while this indeed happens, it is not quite ordinary. Even with the help of plumbers, you might notice that the ¾ inch inlet and outlet come loose quite often, and you need the help of Teflon tapes to stop leaks. But it is good practice to be prepared just in case.
Every user who purchased the Express Water Filter has been happy with the problem of excess minerals in water and chlorine odor and tastes. This is a must-buy for all at the price of this filter.
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
This is another one of those water filters that are very dependable. The 3M Aqua-Pure’s stainless steel head comes with an insane 25 years warranty, and it is made from corrosion-resistant materials! This belongs among the top water filters of the year, and the review will tell you exactly why.
- The filter has a stainless steel head that is non-corrosive.
- You get a carbon media filter that will help you eliminate chlorine from the water supply while also removing any odor.
- The filter has everything necessary to meet the FDA CRF-21 certification. This means you get clean water all year round.
- You get a very high rate of water flow at 20 G.P.M.
- Cartridges are easy to remove and install with the simple twist-off function. This feature ensures easy installation without the help of tools.
The filter warranty of the 3M is a significant relief even with how much Aqua-Pure boasts about its longevity. This makes it inevitable that the security will take care of everything, even if you somehow break the filter.
Since this is relatively small, the filter is elementary to install, and you do not need help from plumbers or experts.
The 5-micron rating makes this filter such a sweet deal to buy. Even at such a low price point, the 3M eliminates even the smallest particles there is, and you get clean water that has no metallic tastes and odors of any kind.
Even though the filter is adept at eliminating finer sediments and chlorine, it will struggle to filter out the iron and other heavy deposits. So it is advised that you buy extra 2 or 3 filters and fit them with the 3M if you think that your municipal water supply is horrible.
Putting heavy pressure on the filters will usually require you to buy a new one, and while the filters are not expensive, they are not relatively cheap either.
This is one of the market’s better whole house water filters in terms of performance based on price. You just need to figure out if your municipal water supply is moderate.
Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Sediment Water
This is one of the most affordable yet dependable home water filters on the list. Even though it is incredibly cheap, the house water filter offers a lot of versatility and is a great value option for your home. Culligan has produced excellent water filters over the years, and here is why.
- It is very cheap.
- It has a small size and is a perfect option for residential homes.
- The WH-HD200-C operates on a battery.
- Pressure drops do not happen with the water filter.
- It can be used with any kind of filter cartridge.
- It has W.Q.A., N.S.F., and C.S.A. cert certification
Everything about the Culligan water filter system is excellent. Besides great pricing, assembling the water filter is a breeze, and the inlet/outlet system makes it very easy to connect the filter to your whole house.
Since it is compatible with all kinds of cartridges, you can choose what type of filter you want with the whole house water filtration system.
Moreover, the filter is excellent at removing all kinds of sediments and impurities from your water supply; it also prevents scaling and deposition of harmful substances. It also features a whole house water softener to prevent scaling.
Another great thing about the Culligan water filter is that it operates on a battery and can run even without electricity. This provides a constant water supply even in places with no power.
While it is a very cheap body compared to other filters, it does not come with any filters. You have to buy them separately, and this, however, gives you the choice of how expensive or inexpensive you want your filter to be.
Another issue with the system is that some people have said filters must be changed frequently. This again has to do with the quality of the filter you purchase.
You usually do not see much versatility when purchasing a water filter, but Culligan has taken the step to give you a home water filter that can be shaped exactly how you want it to be. All in all, this is a great water filtration system to have.
Apex 3-Stage Whole House 20-Inch Bug Blue Water Filtration System
The Apex MR-3030 is one of the most reliable water filtration units globally and for a good cause. Its 3-stage filtration process eliminates almost all impurities from your water supply. However, this is not the cheapest water filter, but this ranks among the best whole house water filters in the current market.
- It has a 3-stage filtration system.
- The first stage removes large particles such as rust and sediments.
- 2ndstage removes chlorine, iron, mercury, and other impurities.
- The last stage removes chlorine, bad taste, and odor.
- You can either mount it on the wall or on the ground.
- It is N.S.F. approved.
- It has a 1-inch inlet/outlet to maintain high pressure.
- You can use many filters, but the Apex filters can last up to 6 months more than most filters out there.
The 3-stage filtration process makes this water filter a winner since it removes almost all impurities and odor from any water supply. Moreover, the filter also removes any kinds of clogging and fall of water pressure.
Another thing to praise about the MR-3030 is that it is made from B.P.A. free materials and, making safe to drink water. Furthermore, if you are not satisfied with the water filtration system, Apex will refund or replace the unit as per your wishes.
A significant dislike for the Apex MR-3030 is its low filtration capacity of just 20,000 gallons which even lower end water filtration systems overpasses. You do not pay as much as the MR-3030’s price and do not get at least 100,000 gallons. This capacity best makes the system a good fit for smaller houses. You either have to buy another system or frequently change the filter on this model.
Another negative aspect of Apex is its customer service which does not respond promptly.
While this might not be the best buy for such a price range, this does, however, provide you with water of the highest quality. So if you are in it for that alone, then this just might be the filter for you.
DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House 15,000 Gallon Water Filtration System
This is undoubtedly one of the most affordable water treatment systems. The DuPont water filter review will explain why this is a good purchase for the year. The DuPont WFPF13003B’s price and three-year warranty certainly ensure that you do not commit a single mistake purchasing this system.
- It can filter up to 15,000 gallons of water.
- It features a standard 500 series Poly Block Cartridge.
- It has a 3-year warranty period.
- It is very cheap.
- It comes with a wrench and bracket for easy installation.
- It is N.S.F. and ANSI certified.
The water treatment system comes with a standard 10-inch micron filter that removes dust and sediments. You only need to pay a fraction of what you pay for other multi-stage water filter systems.
An excellent idea would be to keep two to three more purifiers after this system, such as a 10-inch micron filter, then a 5, then a one. This indeed ensures that you get pristine water to use. Lastly, one of the most beneficial aspects of this filter is that you do not need to hire plumbers to set this one up since it is elementary to do so.
You have to admit that you cannot get the perfect water treatment for your home at this price. While the system efficiently removes large particles, it will suffer when purifying well water and bad municipal water.
If you need a plumbing protection system, this will work for you perfectly. However, buying a different water treatment system is advised if you need something more than this.
This might be the most affordable water filter on the list, but it does not provide adequate protection against sediments if you want to filter water good enough for drinking.
Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filtration System
The Watts WH-LD is another cheap that is best suited for residential buildings. Watts has confirmed that the selling point of the water filtration system is that when connected to a home’s main water supply, the filter will help prolong the lifespan of all household fixtures such as washing machines and dishwashers.
- It is elementary to install.
- It is N.S.F. certified.
- It has a one-year warranty.
- The system features a transparent body that lets you see the process inside.
- It comes with a wrench and three replacement filters.
- The 50-micron filters remove your water’s impurities such as sediments, dust, and rust.
- It keeps scales and sediments at bay that protects your water softener.
Since this is a cheap water filtration system, Watts has made it friendly enough to work with other filtering systems; this means double protection for your water supply!
Hard water is a big concern since this alone costs you 50% for all maintenance on your plumbing. The WH-LD, however, protects your water softeners to the point that hard water does not scale your system at all.
Last of all, installation is effortless, and changing the filter will take you 5 minutes to top.
The filter inside will not remove chlorine since you need a charcoal filter. This is a pressing concern since chlorine is harmful and has a foul odor.
A big problem that some customers have faced is that the transparent body cracks on pressure. This concern, however, has not been shared. Also, it is advised that you construct a drain below the filter in case of water leaks.
The selling point of the Watts WH-LD, besides its ‘OK’ filtration system, is that it also protects your appliances besides your health. The system’s low price makes it a must-have for many out there.
Aquios FS-220 Salt-Free Water Softener and Filtration System
The Aquios FS-220 is the first salt-free water softener on the list, and with good cause. First of all, it has an excellent filtration system that helps keep you healthy and in shape. Second, the FS-220’s softening helps keep appliances safe by reducing lime-scale build build-updates
- The system does both the job of a water filter and a water softener.
- It has a carbon block filter that is rated at 5 microns.
- The FS-220 has no electrical components and therefore does not consume electricity.
- It works at 12 G.P.M. and has a recommended water pressure of 80 psi.
- It has a capacity rating of 40,000 gallons of household water.
- It has a hardness reduction rating of 22 grains per gallon and a chlorine reduction of 12,000 ppm.
It has a slim and compact design that lets you set it up in tight spaces. Moreover, the design & mechanism of the system makes it easy for you to set up.
The unique feature of the FS-220 that most other water filters do not have is that it does not consume electricity. This is because there are no electrical components inside! This feature lets you set up the water filtration system anywhere you want.
The filtration system is as clean as it gets; it can eliminate hard sediments, chlorine, and another material build-up. Everything does not end there since this also has a water softener built inside that reduces lime-scale build-up.
The wrong side of replacing these filter cartridges can be costly. The filters are pretty expensive, even though the system is moderately priced at best. To have the system working effectively, you need to replace the filter per 40,000 gallons of use. Although it does quite a decent job of reducing lime-scale build-up clearing hard sediments, you have to consider whether both of those are on the worst side of things. Meaning that if the hardness of the water is on the harder side of the scale and if the water supply has heavy sediments in it, you need to change filters quite often, which can be very costly.
The Aquios FS-220 might not seem much, but if you have money to spare, you might just be able to make this the best water filter on the market.
Filtrete Large Capacity Granulated Activated Carbon Whole House Water Filter
This large Filtrete Whole House Water Filter is recommended if you have three or more bathrooms in your house. The Carbon filter is excellent for removing sediment, dust, slit, and chlorine from your water supply, leaving you with clean and clear water for use.
- The model features three styles, and you can choose each one based on what kind of water you are supplied. The 30-micron filter is excellent for reducing sand, sediments, rush, and much more; the excellent taste filter can further filter chlorine taste and odor.
- It comes with a three-monthly filter.
- Replacement filters are available in three types and they are coarse, pleated, and grooved carbon filters.
- It is certified by W.Q.A. against NSF/ANSI Standard 42.
- It is very to install.
The three styles of filter that the water filtration system provides give you a lot of versatility on what kind of a filter you want. If you want to remove rust and sediments, then the 30-micron filter will do the trick. If you wish for healthy drinking water, the excellent taste filter will do your job. You also have a 5-micron filter for that extra protection. This lets you indeed spend what money you want and nothing more.
Installing the system and mounting the filter cartridge is very easy, and you can do so without the help of plumbers, which would increase your spending.
Customers have seen that the filter lifespan is usually shorter than expected. The standard filter should last more than six months, and with most municipal water supplies, the filter cannot last that long.
This product will come in handy if you want versatility and a tight budget since it is also relatively cheap. For the filtration process alone, the system does its job perfectly well. However, you might have to spend money on filters in the future, depending on your water supply.
GOLDEN ICEPURE Whole House Big Blue Sediment and Carbon Combinated Water Filter
The best thing about this water filter is its heavy-duty mechanism. Unlike the other products, this is a filter and not a water filtration system. However, this comes on the list because of its compatibility with major brands such as GE, Culligan, DuPont, Whirlpool, Kenmore, etc.
- This is a heavy-duty universal filter for good filters like Whirlpool, GE, Culligan, DuPont, etc.
- It is a five micron-rated filter.
- It is made from food-grade materials and is 100% fresh polypropylene.
- It is an N.S.F. certified Coconut shell-activated carbon filter.
- It consists of significant blue sediments and a carbon combined filter that is 10 inches in size.
- It has a flow rate of 2 – 2.5 GPM.
- The package comes with two filters.
The best thing about this water filter is that it completely removes any odor from chlorine or hydrogen sulfide. Since this is made for heavy-duty water filtration systems, the filters integrate with them perfectly without any trouble.
The 5-micron filter is also great at removing all kinds of sediments from your water supply, and it has an authenticated removal rate of 95%. Moreover, the filter has three layers of filtration, and the micron rating increases as water goes from the outer layer to the inner layer.
The best thing about the Icepure water filter is that it is incredibly cheap and most of the customer who buys them usually come for a second one soon after.
Some people have complained that it takes quite a long for the chlorine level to go down after installing the filter. This is quite a mystery since the carbon filter does not need to be “Broken in” as other filters do.
This is as good as water filters as far as it gets. There are barely any complaints about this filter, and for a good cause. You will not find many filters that can perfectly complement heavy-duty water filtration systems such as GE, Culligan, and Whirlpool. This is the best home water filter on the list.
Filtrete Standard Capacity Whole House Grooved Water Filter
Like the Filtrete Granulated Carbon filter, this is the grooved version of the model. The grooved version of the model is almost the same kind, except this can last longer than the previous version. However, this is recommended if you have two or less than two bathrooms in your house.
- It has a 50-micron rating.
- It is certified by N.S.F. International against NSF/ANSI Standard 42.
- The filter can last up to 6 months.
- The filter replacements are available in 3 months and six months versions.
- Installation is effortless.
- It has a red button on top to unscrew the filter. (This is for pressure release)
- The length measures 9-3/4″, the diameter measures 2-3/4″, and the center hole measures 1″.
- The filter is relatively cheap.
The Filtrete Grooved Water Filter is much more long-lasting than the Granulated Whole house water filter. Also, the filter is best when used with models like the Whirlpool WHCF-DWHV because it allows the filter to last 4 to 6 weeks without any kind of problem with filtering.
Allowing the filter to fill up with water slowly will prevent clogging and sediment building when you have air and sediment together inside a filter.
Even though the grooved version is much cheaper than the granulated carbon filter, it is longer lasting. This alone makes the grooved model a much more viable option than the coarse one.
The worst part of the grooved filter is that it is not a carbon filter, ultimately preventing you from getting any kind of drinking water since chemicals will not be filtered out.
To bypass this problem, you need to have a multi-stage water filtration system that will allow you to have more than one filter at a time; this will enable you to have a carbon filter and the grooved filter working side-by-side to have the perfect drinking water for your house. However, this might prove costly to the otherwise very cheap filter.
If you buy this filter alone, then know that all types of sediments will be filtered out. However, you will not be able to filter out chemicals, leaving you with water that is good for use inside the bathroom but will be undrinkable.
Aquaboon 4-Pack of 5 Micron 10″ x 4.5″ Sediment Water Filter Whole House
Aquaboon has been known to make outstanding Water filters over the years, and the 5 Micron 10 x 4.5 filters are prime examples. The company sells packs of filters together, and besides the standard four, you can also get loads of 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, and 20. However, it is implausible that you need a pack of 20 for residential homes.
- It has many package options to choose from.
- It has a 5 Micron rating.
- It uses considerable blue sediment P.P. water filter cartridges, which are multi-layered.
- It has a lengthy lifespan since you only need to change it two or three times a year. You also have to take in the quality of the water supply.
- It has four stages of filtration.
- The filter has a flow rate of 5 G.P.M.
- It has a filter life of 10,000 gallons.
- It has a max operating psi of 60.
The best thing about the Aquaboon 4-pack water filters is that you get four filters almost at the same amount of money you get for other water filters. This not only is a great water filter that has four stages of filtration, but the pack lets you have filters that will last you well over a year.
Almost every user has complimented that no matter from which municipal water supply your home is connected, you will get clean water after all the dirt is filtered out, no matter how dirty it might be.
With this filter, you need to buy it in packs if you want the best value for your money. So this means that if you only need one of these filters, believing it would be a loss since buying just four or six would cost much less and last for at least two years.
The Aquaboon filter is definitely for those who want to buy filters in bulk that would last them for years. It has been tested that buying six or four of them would last you at least two years.
WHIRLPOOL Standard Capacity Whole House Filtration Replacement Filter
The brand name alone should prove how excellent a product the Whirlpool replacement filters might be. These are some of the best filters at almost a quarter of your price for other filters. Even so, the quality of these products is just as good as the best of them out there.
- It is very cheap.
- It comes in a pack of 2.
- It has a micron rating of 5.
- It has a rigid cartridge construction and a grooved surface for increased surface area.
- It is certified by N.S.F. international against NSF/ANSI Standard 42 to reduce the particulate class V.
- The filter has an approximate lifespan of 6 months.
- The product is ideal for a household of 1 to 4 persons.
The grooved surface area makes sure that filtration is more effective than other pleated filters that are smooth. Unlike other filters in this price range, the Whirlpool WHKF-GD05 can remove major impurities like sand, silt, rust, soil, and sediments with particular ease and can still last more than three months; its lifespan is double that.
The best thing about the filter is that even if it is branded, it still costs almost 40% less than other branded filters in the market.
This will not remove chlorine and other chemicals since this is only a grooved water filter instead of a carbon filter. It does a fine job of removing sediment and rust; however, you need a carbon filter to access bathroom water and drinking water.
This has the highest customer rating amongst all other filters in the market. There is no doubt that the WHKD-GD05 is the best water filter and has the best value for money.
What to Look For in Whole House Water Filter Systems
It is not easy to choose the correct whole house water filtration system and saltless water softener, especially since there are many options and many water softener reviews. However, our guide will give you a complete and transparent guide to which system might be best for your home. There are many aspects to a water filter, and you need to know what you are looking for.
Types of Filter
There are different types of water filters in the market, and the most common one is the carbon block water filter. Not only does a fine job of holding back sediments, but it also removes chlorine and other chemicals to make your water perfectly healthy to drink. It is essential to note that different filter blocks filter various contaminants. You must first understand the quality of water you are supplied with. For example, if your water supply is high in heavy metal contamination, you need a copper-zinc filter to filter out those impurities. If you have a high amount of chlorine, foul odor, and chemicals, you need a carbon filter to eliminate them (look at coconut shell carbon filter). Lastly, if your water supply is high in bacterial growth, you need a U.V. filter.
Water Flow is a big issue that you MUST look at when buying a water filter. Different water filters filter out different amounts of water per minute. If you own a big home, you need a water filtration system that screens more than 20 gallons per minute since this filtered water will then go to your appliances. If you own a smaller house, you might want to buy a water filtration system that can filter at least 10 gallons per minute.
Each filter has a lifespan, usually between 3 months to a year. Typically people tend to buy filters in a pack that can last them a year or two. However, the best water filters can serve you up to a million gallons of water until you need to change to a new one! Yet they are insanely pricy, and therefore, you need to decide on a budget before going to the store. You have to look at water consumption in your house and your budget when buying a water filter.
Micron rating is also significant when dealing with water filters since this is what tells you how much power your system holds and how effectively your system will filter impurities. A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter. If you have the best possible filter in the market, it will block anything over 0.35 microns in size. The smaller the micron rating is, the more expensive your water filter will get. It is recommended that, on average households, it is crucial to buy at least a five micron-rated water filter. However, it ultimately depends on what type of water supply your house is connected to.
When and why is a Water Filtration System Necessary?
You need a water filtration system to improve the quality of your water supply. There are multiple reasons that you need a home water filtration system, and they can be –
- When your water is contaminated with chlorine and other chemicals.
- Your water has a high amount of bacterial growth.
- Your water has a foul odor and weird taste.
- You have cloudy water.
These are some of the many reasons you buy a water filtration system for your home. You can buy a test kit for your water that will tell you if a water filtration system is necessary since purchasing and maintaining a system can prove costly, especially if you have a big house where you do not need one. Some filters can cost more than 1,500 USD!
Related: When I drink water, I feel sick
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Use a Whole Home Water Filter?
A home water filter is best used when you have a contaminated water supply. This happens when your water supply is connected to the Municipal water supply or from a well. There are several ways to notice when you need a water filtration system, but the easiest way to recognize the need for one is when your water is chlorinated. This is because chlorinated water gives off a distinct odor that is impossible to miss when you try to drink it.
It is pretty common to have chlorinated water since chlorine is used in Water Treatment plants to disinfect water supplies before they are supplied to residents. Some people are even used to drinking chlorinated water; however, it can be very harmful to your health.
One of the most common effects of using chlorinated water is leaving your skin dry and hair quite dull. After installing a water filter, you will see a noticeable change in your skin and hair.
A fundamental reason to buy a whole house water filter is that it is very environment-friendly. It does not produce any byproducts that later harm the environment. Some water filters do not even require you to connect them to an electrical outlet for power.
Think of what happens when you buy bottled water; you leave many carbon footprints behind. They come in plastic bottles, of which not all are recycled, and many are discarded, which do not decompose and leave the environment contaminated.
Even aside from chlorine contamination, you have rust, silt, sediment, and heavy metal contaminations. While some people are used to drinking chlorine water, it is undoubtedly impossible to drink water filled with heavy metals, rust, and sediments. A glass of water like this will not be drinkable at all. These are some of the many reasons it is crucial to buy a whole house water supply.
How to Install and Change Whole House Water Filters?
Different water filtration systems will require you to install them differently. However, there is a general way to do so, and if you do not want the help of a plumber to set up the filtration system, you can follow these steps to do so.
- First, turn off the main water supply and drain the rest of the system.
- Choose where you want your system to be and mark it. Choose a place where it will be easy to get to since you need to change filters periodically.
- Cut up the pipe according to the length that you need.
- Install the compression nuts and fittings as it is told in the instruction manual that you get with the system since this is where different strategies are required different approaches. Make sure you use Teflon tapes to eliminate the risk of leaks.
- Install the inlets and outlets by ensuring that they are facing the right direction.
- Check for leaks after installing the system.
How to Change a Water filter?
It is elementary to change water filters; all you have to do is follow the few steps necessary.
- Turn off the inlet valve.
- You should have a provided wrench; use it to screw the filter off. (Keep a bucket at hand to collect droplets).
- It is advised that you clean the inside of the filter before installing a new one.
- Insert the new filter and make sure to wrench it tight.
- Turn on the valve slowly to let the water in without any air pockets to prevent lime-scaling.
- Be sure to keep the water running for at least 10 to 20 minutes before drinking water.
How to Build Your Own 3-Stage Whole House Water Filter?
- Installing a 3-Stage Water filter is pretty easy; it is almost as simple as installing a clear water filter. To do so, you need to follow a few steps while also keeping in mind some critical notes.
- Some people try to bypass filters when installing a water filtration system. Most people do that to get unfiltered water through some faucets. This is not recommended since you are open to the chance of accidentally opening one and having all those unfiltered water rush into your house. You do not need to do that for several reasons. It takes only a matter of minutes to have filters in place. Otherwise, if you want unfiltered water, all you have to do is tap off the faucet before it comes to the filter.
- Install a pressure gauge before and after your filter chain to know precisely when you have to change your water filter. Even if this might prove costly, it is one time only and will prove helpful in the future. You just need to install one between each filter to know when a change is required.
- Ensure that you test the screwing properly before everything is finalized when you build the system. A fault in this will usually result in either accidental leaks or make it a pain to get the filter housing off.
- Install isolation valves before and after the chain so that you do not need to drain the entire system to change just one filter.
- There are red pressure release buttons on systems; if your one does not have it, install a sediment tap to relieve pressure. This will prove to be convenient in the future.
- Also, the flow rate specified is for one filter only, so the pressure will decrease when installing 3 in a row.
What do whole house water filters remove?
It does not matter where your water comes from; you can be sure that wherever it comes from, your water can be much better if you install a home water filtration system.
The most common thing that water filters eliminate is chlorine and other harmful chemicals. Chlorine is most common since all water treatment plants use it to disinfect water from bacteria and other dangerous contaminants. Water filters use a carbon block filter to remove chlorine and other chemicals. These filters also remove bad tastes and odors from water supplies when necessary. IcePure has an excellent taste filter specifically designed for this purpose and can do a better job than most other filters built to do just that.
Besides chlorine removal, water filters can also remove different sediments like dirt, sand, rust, and dust. If your water supply has many residues, you should consider buying a multi-stage filtration system that makes the water finer with each stage. Reusable filters come in; use disposable, more refined filters if you have a water supply with fewer sediments.
Iron is another major issue for drinking water, and there are two types of it – ferric (rust or red water iron) and ferrous (dissolved and clean water iron). In the case of red water iron, you need a sediment filter since the sediments are not dissolved, but in the case of clear water iron, oxidation or ion exchange filters are required.
These are more or less what you expect a water filtration system would remove from your water supply.
Where are Whole House Water Filters Installed?
It is advised that you install the water filtration system as close to the entry point as possible, and most of the time, this is where your water heater is located. If possible, installing the water filter even before the water heater is beneficial since there is a chance that the unfiltered water may cause lime-scaling on the walls of your water heater if your water supply is high on hard water.
However, this is not always so since you must first figure out where you are getting the water from since acquiring it from a municipal source and a well will affect the order your system is arranged in. Scale prevention is the primary problem of why you must install a water filter before all other appliances.
If your water comes from a well, the first thing you have is an excellent pump to pull up water, then the next thing you set up. Since there is no chlorine in well water, you do not need to read water softener reviews to understand how that would work.
If your water comes from a municipal supply, you need to do the exact opposite. You need to install the water filter first, so it protects other appliances from scaling. This will prolong the life of all of your devices at home.
Advantages and Disadvantages of using U.V. Water Filters
You need U.V. filters mostly when there is a high amount of bacterial growth inside your home or if your water supply has a high amount of bacteria, like in wells. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of using U.V. water filters
- The taste and odor of water are unaffected since it does not use any kind of chemical to filter water.
- You have to invest very little when installing a U.V. filter since there is almost no investment and maintenance cost. You need to change the filter once a year, and you are good to go for another long year.
- Even though chlorine is used to eliminate microorganisms, some are resistant to chlorine; however, you can stop even using U.V. filters. U.V. filters can eliminate chlorine-resistant bacteria such as Giardia, A-coil, etc.
- This is an eco-friendly process since it does not involve any chemicals, and neither does it add anything to the water. This is an entirely physical process – the U.V. rays eliminate the genetic structure of the microorganism in question, making them ineffective.
- It is true that U.V. filters almost eradicate all kinds of microorganisms in your water, but that is as far as you can go with that. U.V. water filters will not destroy chemicals, heavy metals, sediments, volatile contaminants, and hard water. This means you must set up a multi-stage water filtration system with other filters of another type to have safe water to drink.
- Installing a multi-stage filter is very costly since these systems are expensive. Add that with buying two or more filters together, and you have a big purchase in the future.
Are there any good whole house water filtration systems?
This question does not have one answer; there is no best water filter. However, what is the answer is that through close analysis of your water supply and household need, you can find the water supply that is best for you and you only!
There are different kinds of water supplies out in the market. First of let’s consider the expensive ones out there. We can look at Aquasana’s EQ-1000, which costs over one thousand dollars. It is very versatile and can do a lot of stuff while lasting up to 1 million gallons of use! However, can you call it the best for you if you have a small house and are willing to have 2 to 3 people, or if you live alone?
The 3M Aqua-Pure is another good water filter out there you can get but only at a fraction of the price of the exalted EQ-1000. This filter will perfectly do all the jobs for you but small home. However, it does tend to have expensive filters and will clog up from time to time. But, if you are in no place to spend over a thousand dollars on water filtration systems, then this is the stuff for you.
The DuPont WFHD13001B is another excellent example of a good water filter that is way cheaper than the ones mentioned above, coming at only 30 bucks. This does the job of filtration perfectly, but for a small house of 1 to 4 people. It also has cheap filters that you can buy anytime without trouble and is easy to install.
This means the best water filter you need for your house and yours alone. Explore these water filters in the water filter reviews above, and you will undoubtedly find the best one that suits your needs.
How Much Does a Whole House Water Filter Cost?
The cost of a water filter will depend upon what type and what filter you are buying. If you are looking at water filtration systems alone, the most expensive ones will cost you around 1,500 USD, while cheaper ones are as low as 30 USD! However, do not mistake that these cheaper ones are bad. They do their tasks on a smaller scale than the more expensive ones.
You also need to think about how many filters you need with your system. Some systems support multiple filters, and some systems will support only one.
Filters like the Home Master HMF3SDGC support up to 3 filters but are pretty costly, especially compared to the DuPont WFHD13001B. Besides that, each of the filters must be changed when its lifetime is up, and that means the more filter you have, the more your system will cost when going for maintenance.
Furthermore, buying the home water filter is not the only cost you will face if you do not know how to set it up, and that means you have to hire a plumber to complete the installation. Usually, plumbers can charge you as high as 100 USD depending on the workload!
How often should I change my water filter, or how long does a water filter last?
The estimated lifespan of a water filter is usually written on the box it comes in. If it is full of bacteria, heavy metals, and sediments, you can be sure your filter will not last as long as it is projected unless you have a costly one, like the Aquasana’s Premium Rhino. However, you will find that most of the time, these water filters will not work as long as what is projected, and this is because of your water supply.
Cheaper water filters usually have a lifespan of 3 to 6 months. These can last up to 15,000 to 30,000 gallons of use regarding water capacity. However, EQ-1000’s filter can last for 1 million gallons of use! That can last you more than five years even if you live in a large house with many people.
An average water filter like the 3M has a capacity of 300,000 gallons and can last you around three years. This increases the lifespan of all other appliances in your house that use water.
Replacing these filters is the leading maintenance cost since there is little that you do after buying the water filtration system itself. To replace the filters promptly, mark your calendar, or install pressure gauges between each filter. If you suffer frequent pressure drops, it is time to change your filter.
Can the water filter be dangerous if it is not changed? If the water filter is not changed, what happens?
If you look at other appliances, you will notice that something has a lifespan and should not be used. Consider carbon or charcoal filters; they are very thick pieces of carbon that act as a sponge for contaminants; they have a threshold that you should not cross, which would otherwise result in very unclean water.
Other than that, filters have a lifespan up to which they can filter out contaminants. If you go beyond that, the filters will not be properly anymore.
If you do not change your water filter, multiple things can happen. The first thing that can happen is that your water can go through the filter completely unfiltered; this will not only be a real issue for your health, and it will also further shorten the lifespan of other appliances since there is nothing that will stop hard water from scaling your system.
Indeed, first-world countries usually do not have many pathogens in tap water; however, you should have a filter in space that will eliminate other culprits in the water. No matter where you live, there will always be contaminants in the water if you do not have a water filter in place.
Moreover, if you do not change your filters in time, a gradual build of minerals will turn into kidney stones. Now, these stones are not harmful anymore; however, they are very hard to get rid of and are very costly. This is because kidney stones are removed using ultrasound technology.
Lastly, the most annoying thing about clogging is reducing water pressure. This will significantly affect all your appliances since the water filter is the entry point of all the water coming to your home. Moreover, the impurities that will build up will in pipes and faucets will not be filtered if you do not change filters.
Do new water filters expire?
If new water filters are left dry and in cold temperatures, they can last forever, and you can easily stock up on some of them that can last you a few years. However, the most important thing to remember is that it changes even if you do not install it if you get it wet. This is where your filter will start to be vulnerable to bacterial growths.
This is because water filters are made of carbon and have no chemicals. Therefore, if you use the filter in small volumes and leave it untouched for a few days, it will serve you well beyond the expected time of death.
How often do you change Aquasana’s filters?
Aquasana’s filters are almost legendary since the EQ-1000 has a 1,000,000 gallons lifespan. Most normal filters only have a capacity of 15,000 to 30,000 gallons, while moderately priced filters are rated at 300,000 gallons which is not even half of that of an Aquasana filter.
However, ordinary high-rated Aquasana filters can last up to 6 months of constant use, and these must be bought separately. Moreover, Aquasana’s cartridges mostly come in packs of 2 that can last you a year, and since you can stock them up without worrying about the expiry dates, you can stock them up for years to come. Usually, if continuously used, people tend to change filters after six months.
If you read out guide, you can rest assured that you can find exactly which whole house water filter you need for your home. Our full house water filter reviews are continuously updated to complement today’s ever-changing market.
You have to note that the best whole house water filter does not necessarily equate to being the most expensive one on the market; instead, it is the one that gives you the most exceptional value for your money.
Last update on 2022-04-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API